Thursday, October 7, 2010

I've completely lost my ever-loving marbles.

I am NOT a runner.
Never have been.
I was an athlete in high school and college, but when coach made us run, I seriously wanted to crawl into a hole and hide.  I stunk at it.  I had no endurance, and I was an L7 weeeeiner when it came to running.
(name that movie!)

So it seems only logical that I have decided to train for a half marathon.

And I dragged my sister into it! Ha!
Atleast I'll have someone else with me that will be totally out of her element.

I texted her at 8 am today and said, "Wanna do something completely crazy with me?"
I expected to get back a "Depends on what you're talkin about." Because, really, you never know with me. Instead, her reply was, "Sure!!"
me-"Wow, even without knowing what you're getting into??"
sis-"Yea I trust u!! Crazy is fun, too!!
me-"Hahaha let's see if you do in a minute...I want to train for and run in the okc half marathon. I would love to do it with you"
sis-"Btw I am probably crazier than you, but that is crazy. I will do it. It's a good bucket list item to check off! Where do we start?"

And with that I was commited!
(To the race...not the looney bin.)

There is a running group in our little town that trains together and competes in this marathon in Oklahoma City each year. I watched (well lived vicariously through my FB friends) as these women trained and completed this 13.1 mile race. And I envied their courage. Many of these women were in their 40s and 50s  and some were over weight.  That didn't stop them. They trained daily and DID it.  They completed a half marathon.  I thought  "I can do it, too."  I had been invited to join the group when they began training, but I had a 8 month old baby (who was a very needy baby) whom I was nursing.  I just didn't see how I could pull it off.  Not this year.  I am determined to accomplish something great this year.  To push myself to do something I never dreamed I could do.  Plus, I wouldn't mind getting into shape.  Going from being a college athlete who literally worked out 6 hours a day 6 days a week-to having 2 major back surgeries, 2 babies, and giving up on working out all together, it will feel incredible to get back into shape.

The race is on May 1st, 2011.  That gives me 205 days to train.  That is a reasonable goal.  I have found a fantastic training program that starts slow and builds up to it.  Now, all I need to do is commit myself to the training schedule, and I can do this.  It is so wonderful knowing that I will have my sister along for the ride!
Wish me luck!

Today I am thankful for a solid support system!

2 comments:

Kenzie said...

SandLot! I love that movie! And good luck in your training! Both of my sisters have run half marathons! I am too lazy to even start! So glad your sister decided to do it with you!

Angie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Kenzie! :)