Thursday, September 2, 2010

Birthday Gift for Dad

My husband's birthday was about two weeks ago (HAPPY BIRTHDAY HUN!!) and every year he says "Don't get me anything." and genuinely means it.  He doesn't like for me to spend money on him...although he spoils me rotten.  Ha! Men...

I decided to make him something. Making a man something isn't as easy as I thought, then I remembered I had seen some cute father's day gifts around blogland, that had pictures of their kiddos holding letters to spell out dad.  I recently scored a great deal on a DSLR camera, (thanks Jessica!) and I have been dying to test out my photography skills! So, I cut out some letters with my trusty ol' Cricut, then took the kids out and gave it a try. Within 15 mintues I had what I needed.  I came home and got to work editing them and aging the photos. (I don't have photoshop, so I went here, and it did the trick.) 

I printed them with our photo printer and tried to decide what I was going to do from there.  I went to wally world and found a 3 pack of 8x10 canvases for $4. Perfect! 

After trimming the edges of the pictures, and a little spray adhesive (I did this outside...that spray adhesive is messy and STI-cky!), I had canvas mounted photos.  I was worried about finger prints on the pictures, so I sprayed a couple of layers of Mod Podge Matte Clear Acrylic Sealer on them. 

I decided to hang them with ribbon.  I put lines of E600 where I was going to put the ribbons and put them on there.  I glued several inches to the canvases, thinking it would add more support and hold longer. I allowed it to dry for a couple of hours.

After the glue dried, I tied the ribbons, and hung them on our wall. I am really happy with how they turned out...not bad for an under $5 project! :) 

(That tute on Kanzashi flowers is still in the works! I have been too busy to finish all of the flowers, much less sit and write a long tute...  Hopefully I will get it posted soon!)

Today I am thankful for my wonderful husband.  I don't think he will ever know how much he means to me!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, I love this idea! So cute. I need to make one of these for our house. Btw, I've become a follower.

Beth said...

Oh, and I gave you a blogger award:
http://sandtopearl.blogspot.com