Monday, October 11, 2010

Tutorial-Basic Throw Pillow with Fabric Flowers

After making this pillow, I couldn't resist another.  I would have made more, but I ran out of filling!
So I just made this one last night. 

Want to make one? It's easy! Here's how:


Start with two pieces of fabric, whatever size you choose.  Mine were about 18x18.

Cut fusible fleece the same size as your fabric, and iron it to the wrong side of your fabric-following the packing instructions. (This is completely optional, but I have found that when using a flimsy cotton fabric, it makes the pillows noticeably sturdier and smoother. Being for a 4 year old with a 1 year old in the house, I need to make them as durable as possible!)

Place the fabric RIGHT sides together, and pin around all edges.
Using 1/4 to 1/2 inch seem alowance, stitch around the entire pillow,

leaving a 4-6 inch opening on one of the sides.

Remove the pins.  Reach in the opening, and pull it right side out.  Obviously the larger the hole you left, the easier this will be, but remember you will be hand-stitching this hole closed.

Once it is right side out, poke the corners out and smooth the pillow. 

Begin stuffing with poly-fil (or the stuffing from an old pillow) until it is as stuffed as you like.

Fold the fabric in a bit (the same amount your seem allowance was) .  At this point you can hold it closed with your fingers, or pin it closed to free both hands. I've done it both ways.  I ended up doing this one without the pins.

Thread a needle, and hand stitch closed.  I learned by using this tutorial how to do this.  It is super easy! Please don't be intimidated by this part. I promise, it really is easy.  On the last pillow I made, I caught the fusible fleese lining with my hand stitching, and it didn't look perfect. 

So, on this one, I made sure to just get the cotton fabric, and it looks so much neater and is almost impossible to find.

When your pillow is finished, sew or glue on your favorite fabric flowers, rosettes, buttons, or other embelishments.  Easy!  If you want it to be washable, I recommend using fabric glue if you don't want to sew them on.  (I glued these on.)

Today I am thankful for always having enough food on the table.

2 comments:

Kenzie said...

Your pillows are so cute! I love them!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Gorgeous! I love the color combo. Thanks for linking up with 'Sweets This Week' Link Party